Weight loss industry data at the national level is hard to obtain and analyze. There is no national trade association for the weight loss industry. At the state level, it’s even more challenging. Within the state, there are significant differences from county to county.
Local markets (at the county level) can vary significantly in terms of household income, obesity levels, and the number and type of weight loss companies and providers located there. A state’s share of the weight loss market changes over time, depending on population growth (or decline), and the share of adults that are obese.
Here are the top things to know about the largest state weight loss markets in the U.S.:
- Revenues of weight loss services in California, Texas, Florida and New York represent the largest weight loss markets in the United States — together estimated to capture 36% of the national market.
- Annual revenues per diet center can vary significantly within a state. For example, for centers in Florida, their annual revenues can range from $307,000 to $971,000 per year, depending on the county.
- The pandemic had a major impact on commercial weight loss center revenues in 2020. Receipts nationwide fell 11.2% from $1.78 billion to $1.58 billion, and the average receipts per diet center fell 9.1% from $597,000 in 2017 to $542,768 in 2020.
- California is estimated to have 9.7 million dieters.
- Texas has the highest obesity rate of the four key states and its diet centers are forecast to grow faster in the coming year.
Find Out More
To gain additional insights, be sure to check out the newly published market research reports:
- The Weight Loss Market in California
- The Weight Loss Market in Texas
- The Weight Loss Market in Florida
- The Weight Loss Market in New York
These reports provide an overview of the weight loss market and cover the impact of the pandemic, dieter demographics, market segments, and company profiles.
You may also find the following article by Marketdata helpful: "U.S. Weight Loss Market Partially Recovers from the Pandemic."
About the Author: John LaRosa is the President of Marketdata LLC and is the author of 100+ industry and market studies. His research appears in top media outlets including ABC, CNN, Fox, Forbes, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and a variety of trade journals.